Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I'll Always Love You, New York

I've just spent a few hours reminiscing while looking through the photos from the time I was lucky enough to call New York home. I still can't believe how this little country girl from Australia ended up working in the Big Apple (albeit without pay). But somehow it did happen and these photos are just a small snippet of the adventures I had, the change of seasons (and the rude shock of a New York Winter), the many blocks I walked, the amazing food I ate (pretty excited about that pizza there) and the incredible sights I got to see.

I don't know how to explain what it is about New York that I love so much. It just seems to have this contagious energy about it. It's the vibe, man. I mean, I like Sydney but it's...different. New York is such a vibrant, eclectic, culturally diverse and accepting city. It doesn't matter who you are or where you've come from, you'll find something you like. You gotta believe me! You want to go to a restaurant that only sells things made with peanut butter? Well kid, you're in luck.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't always peachy. When I arrived in NYC I was scared out of my wits. I couldn't sleep for days from sheer nervousness/excitement/jet-lag and I had no idea what I had got myself into or whether it was really for me. There were some really really tough days - some of the worst I've had so far, and through no fault of my own. But at the same time, there were some absolutely amazing days, amazing people and amazing experiences. This is all sounding incredibly cliche, but I'm getting all nostalgic and I can't help it.

Lucky for me I've been able to go back once already and have another trip next month, which is probably why I'm getting so nostalgic right now. And this time, I finally get to take Ben and let him see what I've been talking about all these years. I sometimes get worried that he won't like New York as much as me, but then I remember how much he likes pizza. That boy just doesn't know what he is in for!

4 comments:

  1. Aw New York looks amazing! You look adorable in your coat and hat, I'd love to experience a New York winter! For now, all I can do is dream.

    X
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks. That photo of me in my jacket and pom pom hat was taken on the coldest day I experienced. I think it was about -14 degrees C or something ridiculous! So much fun though! I hope you get to go to NYC soon! x

      Delete
  2. My heart aches to visit again with my partner every time I see pictures of New York City. It just captures a part of your heart and soul that it will always own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the love! It is super appreciated.